Monday, March 11, 2013

It's Monday! What are you reading? 3/11/13

It's a very special Monday--Spring Break Monday--which means that I am sneaking in a quick post in between car inspections, tire rotations, and a bathroom remodel.

Last week I neglected my favorite day of my blogging week but for good reasons; I am now a GREAT aunt!  Between the arrival of a new baby and three classes of seniors researching in the library for the last two weeks I am "knackered" (to quote the characters from one of my favorite reads these past two weeks).  So, here is my reading report for the last two weeks:

Books I finished:


Yes, this is a big one--Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake.  And, I really enjoyed it.  Granted it was full of horror and ghosts and gore, all of the things I try my hardest to avoid. I was completely captured, however and promptly passed it on to as many patrons as I could find.  I even included it in my Romeo and Juliet book talk, likening the star-crossed Anna and Cas to Shakespeare's quintessential teen lovers.

P.S.-- apparently Stephenie Meyer is producing a film adaptation of Blake's gothic romance.

I also read Falling for Hamlet by Michelle Ray.  I enjoyed this contemporary re-make of Ophelia's experiences growing up in the midst of Elsinore's family drama, but I found myself feeling detached to the heroine rather than empathetic in the end.


And finally, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer Smith (sigh).  Confession:  Sears has  commercial called "Connecting Flights," a spoof on the romantic comedy flick.  But, every time I see it , I am secretly wishing that it really were a film!  The trailer begins with two professional bloggers who meet in the airport when their flights have been cancelled, thus ensuing a comedy of errors-adventure, resulting in true love.  This book is that movie, but better!  Jen talks about her thoughts regarding the emotional layers to this book, and I absolutely agree.

And now I must shamelessly scour the internet for any reports of an upcoming film adaptation...

Books I'm reading:


The Forrest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan.  This series has been sitting on my TBR shelf for about a year now, but I'm really enjoying it.  It has a definite M. Nnight Shyamalan's The Village feel to it.  My mind has already robed all of the characters in mustard yellow and bright red.



 Books to read:

I should be binge reading this week, but I have wracked up a "honey-do-list" for myself this week.  I will most likely continue with Ryan's series and move through The Dead Tossed Waves and The Dark and Hollow Places


It's Monday! What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment