Thursday, September 12, 2013

Reel Reading For Real Readers--Ask the Passengers

Today's Reel Reading for Real Readers highlights Ask the Passengers by A.S. King.    The titles that appear at the bottom of this glog  all touch upon LGBT themes and issues--but here's my challenge for you:  don't keep these books on reserve for "those teens" who might be experiencing issues and conflicts of their own.  I feel like sometimes we reserve LGBT booklists as bibliotherapy for gay teens. I'm a full believer in books as instruments of healing, but I'm also a big believer in the power of books to introducing teens to choices, lifestyles, and experiences that they may never have themselves, but when learning how to be empathetic, they would benefit from reading about.  What I particularly love about these books is that they include a complex cast of characters, representing diversity fully and with intriguing situations and conflicts.


No comments:

Post a Comment